Upper Chichester Township
Recreation Activities Coordinator Position
Recreation Activities Coordinator Position
Upper Chichester Township is looking to grow our Parks and Recreation Department by adding the position of Recreation Activities Coordinator. The Recreation Activities Coordinator will be tasked with the expansion of our active recreational activities’ offerings for all age ranges as well as assisting the Director with the administration of the department. The position is ideal for a recent college graduate with a degree in either Sports Management, or Tourism, Recreation, and Hospitality, who is interested in being part of a small intrapreneurial environment.
JOB TITLE: Recreation Activities Coordinator
OBJECTIVE: To expand the active recreational activities’ offerings of Upper Chichester Township for all age ranges as well as assist the Director with the administration of the department.
1. Reports to: Director of Parks and Recreation
2. Directs: Seasonal program staff, volunteers, instructors, and participants
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
This position performs planning, implementation, coordination, and supervision of recreation programs, events and activities, including planning, scheduling and implementing recreational activities; recruits, coordinates and supervises the activities of nonprofit partners, third party vendors, temporary and volunteer staff. This position is the primary liaison between Third Party Communications firm and Recreation Department and will be responsible for ensuring the events / activities of the department are effectively communicated to the public through various channels including, social media, Website, Direct Mailing, and other. Working with the Director, participates in the preparation of program budgets and monitors expenditures of activities and events; administers the rental, scheduling, use and maintenance of recreation facilities; and performs related work as required.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (Duties are illustrative and not inclusive.)
1. Plan, organize, and implement recreation programs by overseeing a variety of sports and recreation programs, ordering supplies, and collecting registrations.
2. Work independently and be responsible for overseeing programs at designated locations such as parks and public facilities. Includes setting up and take down at facilities and areas for special events, including weekends, holidays, and evenings.
3. Prioritize job tasks and complete them within specified time frames meeting deadlines.
4. Prepare written documents, statistical reports, work orders, time sheets, schedules, press releases, brochures, calendars, program rosters, etc.
5. Collects activity and registration records and prepares program plans and requirements in advance for budgetary recommendations; prepares reports describing and evaluating programs at completion of activity and identifies methods and areas to improve.
6. Maintain supplies, equipment, and materials in support of athletic and recreation programs.
7. Perform necessary manual labor and skilled tasks that may require lifting heavy objects, stooping, bending, and twisting.
8. Book facility rentals; attend to facility user’s needs, including permits and equipment; print weekly event schedule and ensures that all setups are done, manage facility budget, including maintenance and supplies.
9. Develop, prepare, and organize plans and schedules for all programs and activities.
10. Enforces policies, procedures and rules for staff, instructors, volunteers, and contracted facility renters as well as enforcement of safety and operating procedures and provides for maintenance needs including compliance with health and safety codes and building codes.
11. Communicate and work with individuals, community groups, and committees to stimulate interest and develop recreation program support, including fund-raising.
12. Maintain scheduling software, website, and social media pages for Upper Chichester Township Parks and Recreation.
13. Attend Monthly board meetings and prepare written monthly report in advance of meeting.
15. Perform other duties as may be assigned.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Knowledge of the principles, practices, and methods of recreation management.
• Knowledge of recreation activities for children, adolescents, adults, senior citizens, and special
• Skilled in the use of common computer programs and office machines, including Microsoft Office Suite, WordPress, social media Tools, etc.
• Skilled in developing, planning, and overseeing a diverse number of public recreational programs and events.
• Skilled in the methods and techniques for recreation facility maintenance and operations.
• Ability to communicate and establish rapport, understanding and confidence with participants and the public.
• Ability to exercise independent judgment in the application of program rules and procedures.
• Ability to understand, follow and complete oral and written directions.
• Ability to effectively communicate orally and in writing.
• Ability to work flexible hours including evenings and weekends.
Bachelor’s Degree from an Accredited College or University with a Degree in either Sports Management, or Tourism, Recreation, and Hospitality, or related field and one (1) year of related experience.
LICENSES OR CERTIFICATIONS REQUIRED
Must possess a valid Motor Vehicle Operator’s License and satisfactory driving record.
Must be able to obtain Red Cross Standard First Aid and Adult CPR Certification upon hire.
Must be able to obtain a Certified Playground Safety Inspector designation within one year of employment.
Must be able to obtain a Certified Park and Recreation Professional designation within two years of employment.
ENVIRONMENTAL FACTORS/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
Work is primarily performed in an office environment and may be subject to extended periods of intense concentration and repetitive motion such as typing and data entry.
Work involves operation of computer equipment for extended periods.
Work requires physical capacity to work for extended periods of time with exposure to diverse environmental situations and adverse weather conditions.
Work requires physical capacity of light to moderate lifting (up to 40 pounds).